How to get there:
- From the south take the main road SS125 north to Tortoli until reaching Cardedu, turn west following signs to Jerzu and continue up and around the valley until arriving at the junction for the old Cagliari road, turn right here and continue to Jerzu and Ulassai. Upon entering Jerzu take the second exit at the roundabout as though you are doubling back on yourself and take the road going up to the right, following signs to Ulassai. Continue on this road going up and above Jerzu with the town on your right hand side. Continue until turning left at the junction signposted Ulassai which is the SP11. Ulassai. This journey is quite arduous but offers fantastic scenery.
- From Nuoro take the main road SS389 towards Lanusei until turning right onto the SS198 following signs to Gairo, continue on the SS198 turning right upon entering Gairo then down the valley and across it. When you begin to ascend on the other side take the left turn onto the SP11 following the signs to Osini, Ulassai and Jerzu. Continue on this road passing through Osini until arriving in Ulassai. This journey is quite tricky as there are many bends in the road but it offers spectacular scenery.
- Situated between two great rising rocks Ulassai is high and beautiful. At almost 800m above sea level its surroundings are postcard perfect and the locals are welcoming. Ulassai benefits not only from having one of Europes largest caves in its back yard but also a walkers paradise in the area adjacent to it. The Eagles Path directional signs guide visitors past various archeoligical and nuragic sites and enables confident and enjoyable trekking. There is a working textile museum on the edge of town dedicated to the production of rugs, bedlinen and table cloths amoung other things, all made from natural fibres of the mouflon, an impressive goat like animal that thrives locally. A local artist by the name of Maria Lai has influenced the designs of many textile products and also has a museum dedicated to her on the edge of town, many of her artworks are on show in Ulassai. Together with Jerzu and Osini, this area of Ogliastra is rich in geology, natural beauty and traditional Sardinian living.
Points of interest:
- Eagle Path Trekking
- Cave Su Marmuri
- Cooperativa Tessile
- Museum of Maria Lai
- Mount Tisiddu
- Cascate Lecorci (waterfall)
- Cascate di Lequarci (waterfall)