Location: East Ogliastra (2.5km from the coast)
How to get there:
- From the south take the main road SS125 north following signs to Tortoli. Very easy to get to.
- From Nuoro take the main road SS389 south following signs to Lanusei, continue ahead when the road becomes the SS198 until you arrive in Lanusei. Upon entering turn left onto the SS198 to Tortoli, winding down through Lanusei and towards Osini, continue out of Lanusei and stay on the SS198 until arriving in Tortoli.
- Situated right in the middle of the Ogliastran coast, this busy town is popular in the summer months. Benefiting from main road access north, south and west, it links with the harbour town of Arbatax (to the east, 3km from the centre) and Porto Frailis (to the east, 2.5km from the centre). The archeological site of S'Ortali 'e Su Monte (San Salvatore) on the edge of town is the areas nuragic gem and boasts an impressive tower and tomb complex. The fascinating archeoligical site of Sherì is only 15 minutes drive from Tortoli. The main road through the town is pedestrianised in the summer evenings giving it a relaxed but vibrant atmosphere, the local shops and market stalls open til late. Excellent beaches at Orri (4km) and the bays of Porto Frailis (2km) and San Gemiliano (2km) give sun worshipers ample opportunity to catch the rays. The Tower of San Gemiliano offers beautiful panoramic views of the the bays and several kilomtres of coast to the south.
Points of interest:
- Bay of Porto Frailis
- Bay of San Gemiliano
- Tower of San Gemiliano
- Nuraghe S'Ortali e Su Monte
- Lido di Orri
- Archeological site of Sherì